Hayley Oliver Band - ABINGER GROVE

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Hayley Oliver Band - ABINGER GROVE

Postby livewire » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi everyone
I posted about this new album on my Blog several weeks ago when the second promo single came out on Hotdisc which peaked at #2 on the Top 40 Hotdisc Chart and enjoyed 5 weeks atop the British Hotdisc Chart.

Did anyone hear these singles played on their local country programmes or CMR Nashville or UKCountryRadio.com :?:
The physical CD has yet to appear and should do soon.
Digital copies have been available for 4-weeks but sadly it isn't selling :(
iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/abing ... d668823354
Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DRG5Q8A

Personally I thought the "Could I Be More Blue" single was simply stunning.
I've followed the Brit Country scene on and off over 13 years and I have to say I don't think I've heard a better overall album than this one!
It is most definitely COUNTRY (no watered down pop/country). I cannot find one bad track.
The ballads are equisite. The band may not write their own material but Hayley seeks outs some fine tracks from publishers.
She is a wonderful singer of ballads and the music really touches me.
Easy on the ear unlike so much Nashville dirge pushed down our throats from major labels.

These are my picks:
You Were There All The Time
Just Once More
Could I Be More Blue
The Hand That Rocked The Cradle
Bright Side Of Life
Labour Of Love
I Can Still Dream

Track 2 "It's A Good Thing" their most contemporary track to date with the pop/country la la la's, catchy melody thats good enough For Zac Brown

Don't take my word for it, LISTEN IN FULL at:
BAND SITE - http://thehayleyoliverband.bandcamp.com ... nger-grove
SPOTIFY - http://open.spotify.com/album/5MRCa7x7uwAFIUCDofZBh0

What do you think to it :?:
The promotion so far for the album seems flawed.
I think just one lead-off single is fine, then you need to have the album available in ALL formats been you use follow up singles to drive sales.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Re: Hayley Oliver Band - ABINGER GROVE

Postby gunner25 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi Livewirer,
Thanks for the nice comments on the new album, it was a pleasure to do and to play with great musicians.
As for the promotion being flawed, it has taken a long time to produce this and with all of us working and having to fit in the band stuff around normal day to day living and working and other stresses that this life brings, i think the use of the word flawed is a bit strong. I have tried to get this noticed on many web sites and have paid out a substantial amount of money to promote it via Reverbnation, Airplay Direct, Hotdisc and the list goes on, but if people are not interested in buying it or downloading it then we can't force them to do it. I am still looking at other ways to get it to more peoples attention, but it seems that everyone i talk to about doing this all seem to want bundles of cash to do anything. Whatever happened to word of mouth or someone pushing it to friends etc, you seem to be the only person who has heard the album to actually have said anything about it, and again thanks for that.
As you know the British Country scene at best is fragile and trying to get this heard in the States and in Europe unless you know where and how to promote it, is difficult at best, and as we havn't had anyone suggest the proper channels, we are doing the best we can with the limited resources available to me, and us.
Any help or advice that you can give us would be gratefully received and welcomed.
Thanks
Nigel(Bass Player- The Hayley Oliver Band)
gunner25

Postby livewire » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:22 pm

gunner25 wrote:Hi Livewirer,
Thanks for the nice comments on the new album, it was a pleasure to do and to play with great musicians.
As for the promotion being flawed, it has taken a long time to produce this and with all of us working and having to fit in the band stuff around normal day to day living and working and other stresses that this life brings, i think the use of the word flawed is a bit strong.......I have tried to get this noticed on many web sites and have paid out a substantial amount of money to promote it via Reverbnation, Airplay Direct, Hotdisc and the list goes on, but if people are not interested in buying it or downloading it then we can't force them to do it.

Hi Nigel
Thanks for the reply. Its a shame that after nearly a week of the first post and 2 links provided to listen to the album in FULL that no one has an opinion on it good or bad or otherwise but the post views are welcome?
I hoped that someone would share my enthusiasm for the quality of the ABINGER ROAD project.
I used the word "flawed" out of pure frustration as a fan as this album really should be selling.
The last 2-weeks its been absent from the iTunes Top 1500 Country Albums listing (which I mention on this section).

Were the 2 Hotdisc singles that were both No.1 for 13 weeks on The British Chart released a few months too soon ahead of both digital and physical product both being available whilst the band were hot on the charts. People would hear and then maybe want to buy instantly :?:
Its not my business to know but as you point out I can only imagine the costs of producing an album in a studio, promotion, manufacture and advertising.
Yes in the 70's word of mouth was exactly the way excitement spread about new music, to some degrees it carried on, and still does. I've seen fans queue around the block at gigs I thought only 10's would turn up.

The Hotdisc show is broadcast on what are "claimed" to be the 2 internet stations that are most listened to in UK and across Europe playing from the "renowned and distributed" promo disc.
I posted on UkCountryRadio.com Facebook about the album and asked the Hotdisc presenter to tell the listeners the album is available to buy, result apathy!
Album reviews have been missed with Country Music People and Maverick to coincide with Hotdisc.

Some other UK "country" duo/bands have built Facebook followings of 10 -15K through what must be a few years hard work of effort and being very pro-active online.
Also a few put out fan newsletters to get up-to-date news.

To think that the best selling Irish & UK album is still Nathan Carter's "Wagon Wheel" (off the back of a cover song) and now jumping on the "Ho Hey" Lumineers band wagon just has me shaking my head. UK fans seem to love familiarity and not quality originality.
They have created an infrastructure in Ireland with the TV shows to back it up.

Have the Hayley Oliver Band best sales come from playing the gigs and Festivals?

Getting your music in front of people and creating a buzz is the biggest challenge for any UK country artist.
The task is massive despite the Internet with so many distractions and defragmented radio and TV audiences.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby LoneShark » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:33 am

The British country music scene is not interested in original music.

Yes, there are small, very small, pockets of those who enjoy, and seek out originality, but they ain't gonna pay your mortgage!

I have never met Haley but have heard her sing, and agree she has a sweet voice, but that's not enough to make a successful career in this business. I listened to the album and think the production is excellent, but from a personal point of view the songs don't do it for me, sorry guys. The featured names thing can also have a negative effect on people's expectation, and this may be the case here. I would ask if these musos cannot open some doors for you?

AirPlay Direct and Hotdisc are a complete waste of time, I know this through experience. Reverbnation and similar sites are robbing artists, as I only need to look at my royalties statement each time, so I wouldn't be spending money on such things.

In my years in this business as an original material artiste, without the backing of any label etc, I have learned the golden rule for this very situation that Haley and the guys find themselves in i.e. the smallest amount of the budget should go to the product and the largest to the promotion of it. Yes there is a balance to strike however, no good using most of your money to have this shiny new and great sounding cd if no one is gonna hear it? The cost of 'proper' promo (not facebook!) is many thousands and I do appreciate the band are not full time pros so this is a major problem for the likes of us.

Finally, Livewirer, you seem to have the hots or nots(!) for Raintown, a couple I know work very hard, both musically, and on the promo side to gain recognition. We all have different tastes, as I happen to enjoy their music, and admire their zest and enthusiasm. I don't think the veiled comments are helpful to anyone.

As always, I wish every artiste success and good fortune.

B
LoneShark

Postby livewire » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:30 pm

LoneShark wrote:The British country music scene is not interested in original music..............I have never met Haley but have heard her sing, and agree she has a sweet voice, but that's not enough to make a successful career in this business. I listened to the album and think the production is excellent, but from a personal point of view the songs don't do it for me, sorry guys.....
AirPlay Direct and Hotdisc are a complete waste of time, I know this through experience. Reverbnation and similar sites are robbing artists....Finally, Livewirer, you seem to have the hots or nots(!) for Raintown, a couple I know work very hard, both musically, and on the promo side to gain recognition.

Hi B
Thanks for taking the time to listen to ABINGER ROAD with your honest comments and praise for the production.
Everyone will have their own take on the merits of an album. Last week Country Music People awarded a singer-songwriter 1/2 (halve) star be interesting how Maverick will rate the same artist.
The Hayley Oliver Band album might be deemed "a bit safe" and not "edgy enough" but having endured the over played commercial dirge of major label artists constantly pushed down our throats (FGL, Shelton, Aldean, Gilbert ..) from the UK country stations (who are probably paid to play them with an hourly hit rate target !) by comparison ABINGER ROAD rests easy on the ear with what most would recognize as a country sound?

Your comments regarding the promotional names/websites should be good advice to other Brit artists when spending their valuable resources on promotion.
Hotdisc did claim "distributed to over 800 DJs, Country Music industry professionals" :?: Those folks have given the thumbs up to Hayley Oliver Band album but critical acclaim is one thing and selling the product is another. Yes not much good having a great album sitting at home that nobody really knows about.
Reverbnation like MySpace were the 2 flavours with artists. The first seems very quiet with little action on artists pages then second was revamped 4 years ago and artists lots 1,000 of "Friends" they had built up. Those that headed off to Facebook instead probably don't realise MySpace has a new make-over?

It can't have helped Brit artists about the loss of country programmes on the BBC and how many will survive when their contracts come up for renewal in 2014. I will not be campaigning again to save the remainder if that happens because of their output in terms of the music played which I exposed during the first 3 months of 2013.

Currently the Top 30 iTunes albums has 7 Johnny Cash titles, Greatest hits sets from Shania, Dolly, Kenny Rogers, Dixie Chicks and a few country compilations.
As you say general buyers are not seeking out originality.
The Phil Mack/CMC Club crowd are after the "play us something we know" music. I've known a bright UK talent with original music be asked by a restless crowd to perform Jim Reeves covers to dance to.
That's why the likes of Lisa McHugh have "sold out" to the Irish Hotel/Weekend package crowd.

Raintown - Well I was interested enough to research them around the time of their "history making" first CMA Global artist appearance (months before Country Music People who only knew of their name) with an album review and interview feature for Christian Lamitschka's news blog. Their UKCountryRadio.com appearance revealed their flaws vocally. They just had 2 noteworthy songs on their album and I personally don't think they are an authentic country act.
I agree they work very hard on promotion and spin enough to get their fans to vote them Scottish Music Awards and an opening slot for WET WET WET.
I've heard a few favourable comments for their appearances at Americana and Wolvestock. Using Facebook they brand the current US label crop to their followers and keep themselves in front of the C2C festival. I don't think they are anywhere near the quality of their Glasgow counterparts Aston Lane.
You could say better to say nothing about an artist but this a forum open to opinion and discussion.

I posted about your 10-year album anniversary for "WINDMILLS". This was also mentioned on Stewart Fenwick's country show (one of many country shows with no listener feedback or live interaction), wonder if I was the only one who heard it?
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby LoneShark » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Hi Livewirer

Free speech is something we rightly are very proud of in this United Kingdom of ours, and to be honest, I enjoy reading your posts as your obvious knowledge and research into posted subjects are second to none. Of course we all like different things, that is the beauty of music. It is only opinions and do not make things right or wrong. Because I am not enamoured by this particular collection of songs is neither here or there.

With regards to the album, I think it is an excellent, professionally presented project, well sung and recorded. As I have worked in a studio for the last ten years with varying artists, I appreciate the work involved to get it to this stage, so I say well done to all concerned.

I would like to draw a non-genre comparison with a band I still work with, SKERRYVORE www.skerryvore.com, a bunch of young lads playing celtic rock who are full time and work their backsides off to get where they are today. The problem, as stated by Nigel is that other commitments are stalling his band in pursuit of commercial success, so I would suggest. as I do to most bands I work with, to do it right, you need TO DO IT RIGHT. Is there any British country bands full time, and I mean full time? not as a hobby.

Thank you for mentioning my WINDMILLS show. I tried to keep the numbers low but exceeded that within the first two weeks of sales so released more tix. They too, are down to the low numbers and will undoubtedly sell out, all very satisfying.

I look forward to reading future posts, and we'll just need to agree to disagree on Raintown.

Good thoughts

B
LoneShark

Postby livewire » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:56 pm

LoneShark wrote:I would like to draw a non-genre comparison with a band I still work with, SKERRYVORE http://www.skerryvore.com, a bunch of young lads playing celtic rock who are full time and work their backsides off to get where they are today. B......I look forward to reading future posts, and we'll just need to agree to disagree on Raintown.

Is this one of your produced songs
https://soundcloud.com/skerryvoreofficial

It's more of a contemporary sound so therefore makes it have more commercial appeal by comparison.

I don't know what Raintown's new music sounds like. What are the songs that impress you from them Brian?
On Raintown's Twitter:
"fabulous review of your show at Newark in maverick magazine" = I bet its not from Alan Cackett but from one their younger reviewers
@raintownmusic [u]Multi-award winning & history making Country Music Duo, 'Raintown' are playing the O2ABC ticket = Typical spin
@raintownmusic Yay #15000 on facebook #thankyou pic.twitter.com/NQImR0fZ = 15,000 FB likes can't be wrong :?:

Raintown - "If this was a Love Song" (June 2013) Written for their new album
Comments "Amazing", "Love it"
Shouldn't they promote themselves as a Pop Act?

By comparison a vid from 2010
The Hayley Oliver Band with now nearing 600 Facebook likes

Country? YES, Where did they go wrong it haunts me all the time

http://thehayleyoliverband.bandcamp.com ... nger-grove
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/abing ... d668823354
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/thehayleyoliverband
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abinger-Grove/dp/B00DRG5Q8A

Last edited by livewire on Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby LoneShark » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:00 pm

Not the first track Livewirer, that is a Runrig song.

I wasn't drawing comparisons musically, just highlighting difference between full time and part time commitments to success.

Neither am I championing Raintown, however I do feel you have an unhealthy interest in their career? Spin is what it is, been used since entertainment was a baby and continues to this day. Is it so wrong to get a positive review in a magazine?

Good thoughts

B
LoneShark

Postby livewire » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:24 pm

LoneShark wrote:Not the first track Livewirer, that is a Runrig song.

I wasn't drawing comparisons musically, just highlighting difference between full time and part time commitments to success.

Neither am I championing Raintown, however I do feel you have an unhealthy interest in their career? Spin is what it is, been used since entertainment was a baby and continues to this day. Is it so wrong to get a positive review in a magazine?

Good thoughts

B

Thanks Brian for the info, I'll delete "The Writing On The Wall" vid above
I know you are not drawing comparisons but I think it is a worthy comparison between a debatable "country act" with a very healthy Facebook and Twitter following and a bonafide country act in the Hayley Oliver Band that sadly has a much much smaller Facebook following with little fan interaction but Hotdisc success that Raintown haven't had.
Yes Raintown will take the plaudits from Maverick Magazine even though its from a favourable reviewer.
It all helps to build a profile and useful quotes when it comes to selling their wares or promoting their gigs to have someone from a leading UK publication back them.
I don't think Country Music People have ever covered them so Maverick is their friendly home.

Is there something to learn from this?

BTW If Bob Harris would not play "Damascus Road" after countless requests I see little hope for any Brit Country making a breakthrough via his country show!
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:23 pm

gunner25 wrote: As you know the British Country scene at best is fragile and trying to get this heard in the States and in Europe unless you know where and how to promote it, is difficult at best, and as we haven't had anyone suggest the proper channels, we are doing the best we can with the limited resources available to me, and us.

One website says The Hayley Oliver Band has a manager with contact details, is that still the case?

Your just "another brick in the UKCountryRadio.com Wall" at the mo.
The click through takes you to a homepage dated May 2012 with no info about the new album and its availability, same with the music link.
As the brick isn't free maybe you can make your money work better and thus cement your relationship better with the station.
http://www.ukcountryradio.com/wall.php
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby LoneShark » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:51 pm

Afternoon Livewirer

Sorry about the delay replying but gigging last night and now just catching up!

I think we may have cross wires as was not comparing Raintown and Haley Oliver Band, it was Skerryvore I was referring to?

I appreciate many requests were put in to the whispering one, and indeed I personally handed him a copy of the album, but will just need to accept defeat gracefully! I can see no reason why he would not play Haley's album, especially with the AL connection whom I know he has great respect for, so I would again suggest Albert could open a door or two?

re spin/hype, tongue firmly in cheek, described this upcoming anniversary show as 'probably the best UK show this year!' just to see the reaction, both positive and negative, but Zilch, nada, nil lol. I cant even raise an argument/discussion such is the lack of response from the country scene, I would reckon about 5% have bought tix for the show, the remainder from the mainstream music loving public!

I would agree with you re the apathy shown to UK original artistes is staggering, so the likes of Raintown, Gary Quinn, and others trying to plough that field need all the help they can.

Good thoughts

B
LoneShark

Postby livewire » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:38 pm

LoneShark wrote:
I appreciate many requests were put in to the whispering one, and indeed I personally handed him a copy of the album, but will just need to accept defeat gracefully! I can see no reason why he would not play Haley's album, especially with the AL connection whom I know he has great respect for, so I would again suggest Albert could open a door or two?......I would agree with you re the apathy shown to UK original artistes is staggering, so the likes of Raintown, Gary Quinn, and others trying to plough that field need all the help they can.
B

Hi Brian
I'd forgotten you planted a copy of your album in Mr.Bob Harris (OBE) hand. I think the BCMAwards kind of sucked up to him with a Hall of Fame award in the hope that he might be more receptive to mainstream British acts. It really hasn't happened. I think Travellin Rose might also at the same event had a similar opportunity to hand him a copy of their album.
I have loosely made Bob aware of ABINGER ROAD (Also did with last album) but I think your right it needs to come from someone such as AL.
He has started to repeat himself with some of the tracks he has played. He is the BBC's taste maker for Eric Church, Kacey Musgraves and Brantley Gilbert along with his Americana favourites. Its a shame just one slot cannot be found for a quality British track after all its BBC Licence payers who pay his wages.

I am finding some like-minded Bloggers who are trying to champion Inde artists making original music and having some success.
Radio is not always the place that music fans are finding new artists and tracks.
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby gunner25 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Hi Guys,

Very interesting reading about our Album.
You are right on many comments especially the brick thing and updating the web page.
It is all left to me to do, and there is just not enough hours in the day to do everything, but i will update it as soon as possible, so thanks for that, i have been doing a lot of it on facebook as i thought it was the best place along with reverberation, and you are right it costs a bloody fortune!
Can you believe the old Album Naturally is still selling digitally, but i have had not one sale of the Abinger Grove to date digitally.
It is very frustrating to say the least. This Album has taken a lot of time and a great deal of money to put together, and i personally think that it is a great album, in fact all the positive comments that we have had including Albert and especially Gerry Hogan, he said to us that he was surprised that a Young(he must need glasses) British country band could produce such a great album, and that it was a breath of fresh air to hear new stuff coming out of this country, and it was an honour to play on it, his words not ours.
But as you say doesn't matter how good we, you or Joe Bloggs thinks it is, if someone in the right place doesn't push it, it will just disappear into the ethos, until one day 5 years later someone might pick up a copy and discover it, and then make a noise about it, but of course it will be to late.
Livewirer, i think you are right about the release of this digitally, i should have waited until the hard copies were available , and then sent out 2-300 copies to all the radio stations, magazines etc and see if that worked. In fact i will do that when they get delivered, as apparently Hayley said to me that mosyt people are waiting for the actual CD, well we will have to wait and see.
I don't know about the comment that the album is a bit safe? Safe no, we have tried to get different sounds to the songs, and i like the way the album flows.
I think what erks me a bit is watching the Phil Mack show and others like it, when the play and champion home made videos and covers of 50 year old songs and then go on to say how great they are. Take the likes of 4 Card Trick and Henry Smith, to me they are just Karoke, thats not me being nasty at all, i have met both of them and got on very well with Henry, but i watched the Phil Mack show one week and for 10 mins Glenn Rogers was basically telling Henry he was the best thing since sliced bread and it went on and on, in fact i thought at one point they were going to get a room, to be honest it was embarrassing, is this really what people in this country want to see and hear? I read the write ups on the show on facebook and other sites and to be honest when you see 90% of the stuff on there it makes me giggle, some of the quality of the acts, videos etc are somewhat thrown together and amateurish, now again thats not me having a go at them, because we are amateurs as well, in fact we are part time amateurs, we produce all our own music, we have produced our own videos and designed all of our Cd covers as well, and we try our best to put out the best that we can with limited knowledge and funds, but i wouldn't dream of putting out some of the stuff i've seen on there, and then i read the comments on the show and i think, am i watching the same show as everybody else?
I also read that a tv company is interested in putting it on air!!! really!! what this country needs is a true platform of good british talent and i'm not talking about X Factor and crap like that, a real show for real talent and believe me we have some great singers, songwriters and performers in this country, people with real talent, and what happens to them, well from what i have seen they go around the clubs and pubs plying their wares to people who want to hear Johnny Cash etc and simply not listen to the music or the words and just decide if it is ok to dance to or not.
I know what its like we have played those venues and we could get away with playing covers all night, but we simply do not do that or want to become like that i'd rather give up playing. Also it is very difficult to break into the Northern market of festivals as they all seem to be run by the same people for the same people, surely does't it get boring for the audiences? it would me if i went from show to show and saw and heard the same thing all the time.
By the way i think Raintown are a great duo, i think some of their stuff is fantastic.
On another note, Mr Bob Harris will be comparing Alberts 70th birthday party in London on March 1st next year, and i think we are 90% sure we will be playing there with Albert as a guest band, so it will be interesting to see if Bob walks away or doesn't listen to us when he's there, could be an interesting evening.
It's funny when we were invited to Nashville 3 years ago, he was on the same plane as us, in fact 2 seats away and he spent time talking to Wayne(alberts son) and didn't even acknowledge that we were even there, a bit rude that, but anyway i'm rambling and getting off track.
I will be getting to pushing this album as much as i can, but if after all it goes now where then i will still be proud of the fact that i had something to do with it and that i was playing on it with great musicians and not just the famous ones the other guys in this band, i think we held our own with guys that do this all the time, and as for Hayleys vocals, Albert and Gerry said the same thing just one word when they heard the first cut of the guide track "STUNNING" , and thats good enough for us, we don't need it to be a commercial success, our peers like it, if we can call them our peers as they are on a different level to us, which makes it even more worthwhile. It's great by the way that you have all taken the time to reply to Livewirer, its good to converse and i'm glad that some of you do and with passion, i thought that was dead in this country, and i'm glad you guys are still doing it, you Rock whatever your tastes are.
Speak to you guys soon
Nigel
gunner25

Postby livewire » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:26 pm

gunner25 wrote:....Can you believe the old Album Naturally is still selling digitally, but i have had not one sale of the Abinger Grove to date digitally. It is very frustrating to say the least. This Album has taken a lot of time and a great deal of money to put together, and i personally think that it is a great album, ...Livewirer, i think you are right about the release of this digitally, i should have waited until the hard copies were available , and then sent out 2-300 copies to all the radio stations, magazines etc and see if that worked. In fact i will do that when they get delivered, as apparently Hayley said to me that most people are waiting for the actual CD, well we will have to wait and see......I don't know about the comment that the album is a bit safe?

And Action!
OK Cut , Take 5
Have I got news for you

Lee Williams played the Hayley Oliver Band's "The Good Old Days" off the new album on CMR NASHVILLE "Europe's #1 Country Music Radio Station".
This will have had 3 plays with the repeat shows on Saturday.
The flagship Lee Williams Show is Sponsored By Travelling Time. Lee is this years' International Country Music Broadcaster Of The Year Award.

Lee said that "The Good Old Days" is to be the new single in a couple of weeks time :!:
I can only assume that this must be HOTDISC for third time in 6 months as the third single from ABINGER GROVE.
Throwing money like confetti into the Hotdisc coffers to get a hat trick of #1's on the Hotdisc British chart after 13 weeks with last 2 singles.

Do any forum members or country fans really care about Hotdisc which has generated no interest on here over the years?
Do any forum members listen to the 3 local BBC radio shows or small fry UK radio stations who sometimes play from Hotdisc?

So far this CMR spin has made no difference on UK Country iTunes Chart.
ABINGER GROVE has had no showing on the top 1500 albums the last 3 weeks.
There has also been no activity on the Hayley Oliver Facebook page for 6 weeks.

To me "The Good Old Days" is a safe selection as a single. It has a solid old time country vibe, with super fiddle (John Permenter)
Is this the track to finally get British fans of traditional country music really excited about the new album? Listen here:
http://thehayleyoliverband.bandcamp.com ... d-old-days
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D ... -2-catcorr

There are seven to eight tracks I prefer to this one.

I'm note sure where the marketing goes wrong on mainland UK for our own artists?
Take for instance Nathan Carter. His new album is mostly covers yet he has been in the Top 20 Country albums on iTunes for the last 2 weeks with 2 albums and was No.2 on the Official UK Country album chart which represented a #182 place on the overall Official album places.
If you watched his interview with the "mighty" Phil Mack this week Nathan said he has got Tesco on board in Ireland selling his music.

As regards Physical v Digital product as more music is sold digitally this year in the UK I would find it odd that "country" bucks the trend and sells more physical copies? When is the ABINGER ROAD CD available and where can it be purchased from?
I much prefer the quality of CD sound to compressed digital tracks but if an artist just has an album available digitally then it saves on the cost on CD manufacture and distribution although handy to have for gigs and festival sales.
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby gunner25 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi Livewirer,

Yes you are correct about Hotdisc, i must admit that we have had no success from this at all. This is the bands 8 release,(so far the other 7 have all gone to number one). I chose the good old days mainly because it is different from anything else that we have released before, and for that reason only. There are far better tracks on the album, musically and performance wise, i wanted to see if this type of country actually made us a bit more listened to than the other tracks that we have released.
I always get the feedback charts about 6 weeks after the single has charted, and it's very interesting to read the remarks of the DJ's, 99.9% are very positive but there is always one very bad score and always from the same DJ. A man called Lawrence John. Now if i'm not mistaken is this the same guy that also releases tracks into hotdisc under the name The Lawrence John Project? Well some of tyhe comment from him about all seven of the past releases have bordered on rude. Now i took the time to listen to some of his stuff and is wasn't bad apart from it being very dated, and more western than country, but i think that if this guy is posting comments on other bands releases and then puts his own music on Hotdisc as well, does that mean that he gets to vote on his own music? i would be interested to find out that one. Not a good thing to happen if you ask me. I would never bad mouth another artist, especially on a sheet that 1000 DJ's get and see, and he seems to be the only one that has negative things to say about the band or Hayley, have we found ourselves an enemy, i think we have.
Getting back to the Hotdisc thing and Facebook, we put singles thru Hotdisc as i don't know of any other way of promoting the album, or the singles, all of us have full time jobs, and keeping everything updated is not easy, not an excuse, fact.
Most other bands either perform for a living or only have part time work as they are always playing so they must have the time to push their wares. Travelling Rose seem to have the time to push their album to all and sundry, i don't think we would do it the way that they do it, but it's whatever works for you i suppose. I'm not knocking them, but unless we employ a person to promote us or the album we have to rely on trying to put as much information on the sites that we are able to post to.
As for the hard copy of the Album it will be ready to ship in 2 weeks time as it has taken me a couple of months to design it. A1 cd's are producing it as we speak, and alot of people have said that they want to buy it, but we will see when the product is available, also i will be sending out 200 copies of the album to all the radio stations that i can, and i will be asking for Alberts help along with Brian Hodgson, Pete Baron, Gerry Hogan, and Elio Pace as all of them have had a copy and all of them love it. Its funny when we released Naturally a lot of people on here said that all the tracks were covers, and that if we were a real band then we should do original stuff if we didn't want to be like all other UK based bands, so we have done it with this Album and i think along with professional artists we all think it's a great product, but we seem to be the only ones. The UK public just don't seem to be interested and seem to prefer reworked or straight copies of old american tunes, do we stand a chance, well i don't think we do unless someone puts money into a TV or radio show for original artists and get it out there to the public who listen. It seem that The Phil Mack Show is the only program that broadcasts to the Uk, but that seems to be mainly Irish and American bands, and again basically covers or old original stuff, again not dig or a complaint, it seems to be what the watching audience wants, i used to watch it all the time, and there seems to be a big audience for this show, but what about a UK Country Original program to promote new artists doing new stuff?? If i had the money i would try and do it, but i have a business to run that takes most of my time. It is very frustrating for artists such as ourselves we try to not just copy or produce covers but thats what seems to get you more airplay, so its a situation that we simply cannot seem to win, its a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation, isn't it????
Any way i have rattled on again to much, i look forward to more comments and helpful suggestions from who ever would like to give them Thanks Nigel
gunner25

Next

Return to UK Country music