The Festival Round-Up

This is the place to discuss any festivals that you have been to and what you enjoyed / disliked about them.

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

The Festival Round-Up

Postby aspectsofcountry on Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:06 pm
IP:

Lets get the ball rolling here with a proper post of comments of festivals you have been to this year. If you have been to one or more around the UK - let us know what you thought of them, who you saw good and not so good, and if any you really enjoyed, maybe some you missed, what about the sound, security even the food on offer, even the atmosphere. no idle chat here plaese just comments..

Thank you
aspectsofcountry

Postby nickyjo on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:40 pm
IP:

nah you'll have to buy the mag for that LOL - ou think i'm typing that lot out twice!
nickyjo
Supreme Member

Postby wildrose on Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:31 pm
IP:

we have been to several this year, The Great North, Sapcote, Americana, Norfolk (hope I have not missed any out) and thoroughly enjoyed them all.

Each has something different to offer that the others have not and their own characters which help to make the Festivals go with a swing.
Wildrose Web Site (Copper Kettle & Broken Spoke Festival on this site)

Please note: site may be slow loading up
wildrose
Ultimate Member

Postby Boozed-up-Brenda on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:29 pm
IP:

Garretts round-up brilliant event marvelous venue bands fantastic. Winchester Gentlemen well there you are talking BRILLIANT ACTS,FANTASTIC ORGANISERS, SMALL BUT FRIENDLY FESTIVAL,Blue Rodeo open air festival brilliant acts but weather was horrendous but well organised and very friendly. :lol:Next stop SKIPTON yeeeeeeeee HAAAAAAAA
Drink Drink Glorious Drink.
THE GEORDIE OUTLAWS . CMC.
Boozed-up-Brenda

Postby Irene T on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:25 pm
IP:

Where and when is Blue Rodeo, Brenda -never heard of it???
Is in in Scotland?
Cheers and cu at Skipton
irene Country Routes Magazine www.countryroutes.org.uk
Irene T
Supreme Member

Postby Irene T on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:28 pm
IP:

ps Been to a fair few of the fests - enjoy each for different reasons. Personal plea is to see more original or unique music coming from the stages and a ban on any dance assoc songs from some acts!
Irene T
Supreme Member

Postby ibyorkie on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:57 am
IP:

:( Just to add a negative slant to this thread...I booked and paid in advance for the 'Ultimate Country Music Festival' in Exeter 24th - 27th July.
Unfortunately, a few days before the event was scheduled whilst we were already away from home, the festival was cancelled. Luckily we did get to find out that it had been cancelled before we turned up at West point Showground as our son's wife rang us to give us the bad news.
It wasn't until we arrived home a couple of weeks later that we received a letter from Lindasville Entertainments to inform us that they had gone into liquidation. Looks like I won't see a penny of the £118 I paid in advance.:(
The saddest thing of all is that it's yet another reason to put me off paying in advance for these events. I am reluctant to risk losing my hard earned money again.
I feel sorry for all the efficient festival organisers because I realise how much they rely on advance bookings but I know I won't be the only one who feels this way.
ibyorkie
Supreme Member

Postby wildrose on Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:42 am
IP:

This type of thing makes it so hard for Promotors without pre bookings how on earth do we know how many facilities to hire in.

We always book more than is needed per person booked in but obviously it is just a guess sometimes it works others perhaps more is needed.

Hopefully you all know us well enough to book in advance after all the problems we have had in the past with foot & mouth etc we have managed to carry on (even though it was all last minute).

Just like to say a "BIG THANK YOU" to everyone who has booked in this year it really does help.
Wildrose Web Site (Copper Kettle & Broken Spoke Festival on this site)

Please note: site may be slow loading up
wildrose
Ultimate Member

Postby Twang Man on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:08 am
IP:

We've played Blue Rodeo Festival this year. It's located at Stratford Racecourse and is an open air event - which basically means ya gonna get soaked to the skin. We were there on the 9th August
Turn up the TWANG!
Twang Man

Postby Boozed-up-Brenda on Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:00 pm
IP:

Irene T wrote:Where and when is Blue Rodeo, Brenda -never heard of it???
Is in in Scotland?
Cheers and cu at Skipton
irene Country Routes Magazine www.countryroutes.org.uk

As Lee says it is at the racecourse and ran by Redditch Westerners.
Drink Drink Glorious Drink.
THE GEORDIE OUTLAWS . CMC.
Boozed-up-Brenda

Postby Mr. Blue on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:33 pm
IP:

Been to lots of festivals as Irene T says all were unique and varied
my only gripe is The Great North set up why don't they put the stage in the middle like Skipton & pickering it makes for a much better atmosphere for all, we sit near dance floor and need binoculars to see who's on stage
Mr. Blue

Postby nickyjo on Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:02 pm
IP:

hehehhehee I knwo who you are Mr Blue -- anyway ahve to agree with the statement and heard it from many many people not just me and you!
nickyjo
Supreme Member

Postby Mr. Blue on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:35 pm
IP:

Been to Skipton despite rain/mud it was brilliant with a good mix of bands and solo artists with some good showcases, thought the sound system on sunday when the swing commanders were on was a bit iffy.
It was good to close the festival with a Lively band (Little Rock/john permenter) who kept the dance floor full to the very end.
Mr. Blue

THE FESTIVAL ROUND UP

Postby johntallon on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:17 pm
IP:

IN ANSWER TO MR BLUE
AS A PROMOTER OF LIVE MUSIC I THINK THE STAGE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE OF A FESTIVAL, THAT IS WHY THE STAGE AT THE G.N.F IS NEARLY 60 FEET WIDE [INCLUDING THE P.A AND MONITOR WINGS] 20 FEET DEEP AND 4 FEET HIGH, WITH A FURTHER 20 FEET BACK STAGE AREA FOR ARTISTES CHANGING AND SET UP.

ALSO THE STAGE IS COMPLETELY BLACKED OUT TO ENSURE THE BANDS PERFORMING DURING THE DAYLIGHT HOURS GET THE BENEFIT OF DECENT STAGE LIGHTING.

IF WE WHERE TO TRY AND PLACE A STAGE OF THOSE PROPORTIONS AT THE SIDE, THE STAGE FRONT WOULD BE HALF WAY ACROSS THE MARQUEE.

I HAVE NO INTENTION OF DOWNGRADING THE STAGE TO TRY AND FIT IT AT THE SIDE WHEN AS THE WAY IT IS IT IS VISABLE FROM ANY PART OF THE MARQUEE, EVEN THE DANCERS CAN SEE THE STAGE IF THEY SO WISH.

EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO AN OPINNION AND IT WOULD NOT DO FOR US ALL TO BE THE SAME, AND I HOPE THIS ANSWERS YOUR YOUR QUESTION ABOUT THE SET UP OF THE MARQUEE.

BEST WISHES MR. BLUE KEEP SUPPORTING COUNTRY MUSIC ,AND I HOPE YOU WILL RETURN TO THE G.N.F. EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE NOT KEEN ON THE SET UP, AFTER ALL THE BOTTOM LINE IS THE MUSIC IS IT NOT.
johntallon

FESTIVAL ROUND UP

Postby johntallon on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:20 pm
IP:

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ROGER AND MARY AND STAFF FOR A GREAT FESTIVAL, DESPITE THE WEATHER, YOU DID A GREAT JOB.

THANKS AGAIN.
johntallon

Next

Return to Festivals