Line 6 POD XL Live & Danelctro Screeming Reel

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Line 6 POD XL Live & Danelctro Screeming Reel

Postby Richardson-County » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:10 pm

Hi Guys an' can anyone give me any pointers to the following:

I have the above captioned kit and I want to connect the reel to the Line6 but am unsure of whether it can be done or just what connections are norm.

Reluctant just to plug an' play just in case I blow everything up !!

The reason I want to do this is that in some of the Hank Marvin stuff I do there are parts where 'Palming' is required and as that gives me another technique to contend with. So I figured that if I could connect the two together and use the reel effects when Palming is required it might give me just a stomp on/off when I need the Palm effect.

Go to be done !!

rgds an' tks

Brian
Richardson-County

Postby John Stannard » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:48 pm

Brian, I take it you mean the 'ReelEcho' no ?

If so I would go guitar > Reelecho (mono out) > Pod XL > PA (stereo)

That way if you had a patch set up on the Pod that you use as a kind of 'default' patch you could add the Reelecho by stomping on the footswitch and just add the effected sound to your default and then when you turn it off you would still have the default tone.
There is a 'pad' button on the input so make sure that is engaged first and try it, I dont think the Reelecho output is that hot though but 'safety first' !!
Hope that makes sense Brian, have fun with it !
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby Richardson-County » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:43 am

Tks again John 4 the advice an' will have a go at that routing sometime today and get back with the results. Yes it is a reel echo machine that I am using.

I certainly do get a lot of fun out of the X3 and I am glad that I got that rather than a synth as I am not too phased about making the strat sound like another instrument but others do I guess.

rgds

Brian
Richardson-County

Postby John Stannard » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:00 am

A PodII is my guilty secret too !!, tell you the truth I have used nothing but the PodII for about the last 5 years in the studio with no complaints from producers or engineers, I usually tell people "it's my old Boogie or Fender Deluxe" or whatever and they always say "Oh yeah, I can hear that !"

The Pod sounds fine to me, here's a couple I have been working on, see what you think.

http://www.box.net/shared/bh2iuainp3

http://www.box.net/shared/5nc0b2ra0r
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby Richardson-County » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:54 am

Well done John very good quality and technique something which I am aspiring to and I like to think that I am getting there on a gradual basis.

There were quite a few reasons to why I got the X3 viz:

1. Can route it direct thru my Mackie Active PA so no need for lugging a big amp about unless you choose to.

2. The patches that I can d/load from the Line6 Tone site gives me a sound as good as the original l with the original modelled amps and setting and they do the business in that respect. There are hundreds of patches to suite everyone's particular hero. Wade thru the available patches of a particular song until you get the one you like but seeing all d/loads are starred then generally you go for the 5 star patch.

3. Once you got the hang of it the X3 is pretty straightforward for ease of use. However like most kit it takes a bit of time and hands on to get the most of what these kits can do.

4. Not too expensive and excellent backup from Line6 also I got the contact dets from the demonstrator who happened to be in the store when I got it. Although he lives in Newcastle, phone and email makes it as though he is in my music room !!.

Here's another question - In your opinion which is better routing -

X3 direct to the PA or via a mic in front of my Fender Performer amp into the mixer ??

What are the pros and cons of either routing ??

Appreciate your input and thankyou.

rgds

Brian
Richardson-County

Postby John Stannard » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:13 pm

Cheers Brian, yup, Line6 gear is getting a great reputation and you can see why !

If you asked me 3 years ago I would have said hang a mic over the front of your amp but these days i'd say just stick it in the PA, if you are running the PA in stereo you'll get some fabulous delay and echo sounds.
Don't know how you are monitoring your guitar sound though, if you needed something 'onstage' to be behind you and let you hear the guitar you could always run a cable from the headphone 'out' of the X3 -- sorted !!
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby GuitarDunc » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:29 pm

I use Line-6 Flextone III amps and have done for about 6-7 years now. I dont think I'd use anything else as its got everything I need in the one amp and you can plug it into the PC to upgrade the Flash memory, Speaker emulations and download sound patches off t'internet.

Interesting point...Fender actually use the Line-6 technology in their Cyber range now.
Dunc
Keep it Live, Keep it Country,

https://www.facebook.com/creekies
GuitarDunc

Postby John Stannard » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:38 pm

Must say I didn't get on with the PodII live, Bill has a great PA and good monitoring but .... naaah, it didn't do it for me so i'm happy to lug either the Boogie or my new Fender Supersonic about 'cos i'm old and crotchety ! (Git orff my lawn !!!)

Recording though it's Pod every time, I use the software to let me edit a bit deeper from the Mac and then save the patches on the Pod and download tones too, it's a great system that can be relied on to sound consistent every time and people really can't tell the difference when it's been recorded well.

Dunc, check out 'Sleepwalk' and tell me that's not a dead ringer for an old, small Fender Tweed amp (Champ or such like) being pushed into distortion !!

http://www.box.net/shared/bh2iuainp3
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby GuitarDunc » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:41 pm

I had a listen earlier John and yes it does sound like the old Fender Tweed amp.

I have mine configured as a Fender Twin head but have it switched to a Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab. It gives a great sound.
Dunc

GuitarDunc

Postby John Stannard » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:43 pm

GuitarDunc wrote:I have mine configured as a Fender Twin head but have it switched to a Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab. It gives a great sound.

Good God man !!, you'd need muscles in your poop to lift a real one like that !!!
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby Richardson-County » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi - An some very interesting amps being talked about which gives folks like me something to consider. At the minute I have not played around too much with the pre-set patches but just relied on the d/load sound which in one way probably makes one a bit lazy in experimenting but I will try out all the amps thus far commented on to see what different sounds come out. To get my Marvin sound I am using a Vox Class AC30 but will also have a go at the Fender Blackface Vibroverb but hey there is so much on this piece of kit that the possibilities seem endless - just a matter of seeing which one suits.

I will stick to routing via the PA direct and at the minute I use a Peavey wedge for foldback which seems to work ok.

rgds

Brian
Richardson-County

Postby John Stannard » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:31 am

Thats not laziness Brian !, i'm a great believer in "If it aint broke don't fix it" ! :wink:
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby GuitarDunc » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:44 am

John Stannard wrote:Good God man !!, you'd need muscles in your poop to lift a real one like that !!!

:lol: I also have the additional 2x12 Flextone extension cab I can use aswell :D
Dunc

GuitarDunc

Postby Richardson-County » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:28 am

John Stannard wrote:Thats not laziness Brian !, i'm a great believer in "If it aint broke don't fix it" ! :wink:

Yep you sure is right there John - How many of us have made things worse by trying to fix something that is already the biz.

rgds

Brian
Richardson-County

Postby John Stannard » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:31 pm

Did you get this sorted Brian ?

Just as an 'update', I got rid of the Danelectro and the ever loving bought me a Vox 'Time machine' for christmas, it does all the old fashioned stuff we like and the newer looping type sounds as well -- very good too.

I'm trying a friends Line6 M13 tomorrow, they have modeled a load of classic effects pedals and put them in one box, if ithey have done for effects what they did for amps it might be worth having a look !

John Stannard

Supreme Member

Next

Return to Technical discussions